A Good Night's Sleep - Like a Day at the Spa
I think we can all agree, a good night’s sleep is like a day at the spa. There’s nothing better than starting your day well rested. However, many of us do not start our days like this, particularly during the workweek. Lack of sleep is considered a public health problem, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). According to the organization:
- Insufficient sleep is more likely to cause a person to suffer from chronic diseases such as hypertension and depression, as well as from cancer and a reduced quality of life.
- Roughly 50-70 million US adults have sleep or wakefulness disorder.
- Adults need 7-8 hours of sleep a night, however around 30% of adults report averaging less than 6 hours of sleep a night.
Sleep – A Prime Pillar of Health
These reasons are why 9Health Ready has Sleep as one of our 5 Pillars of Health. If you want to rejuvenate your body, you need a good night’s sleep. It affects every aspect of our bodies – how we feel the next day, how we look, how we perform.
If you’re looking for help getting a good night’s sleep make sure you check out our sleep page on 9Health Ready. There, you will find articles and tips for getting a good night’s sleep, apps that can help aid your quest for better sleep, and videos with Dr. John and his tips for a good night’s sleep. Plus, if you have questions, you can email Dr. John and he’ll try to help you with your particular issues.
How 9Health Ready Can Help You Sleep
Laura Hargis, one of our 9Healthy Ready participants, says she used to not sleep well. She says she would have no trouble falling asleep, but would struggle to stay asleep. “Mostly, I would wake up around 2 or 2:30 every morning and not be able to go back to sleep.”
Now, she makes sure to stick with her ‘before bed’ routine. “Then, what was suggested for
waking up in the night was setting another routine,” says Hargis. “…It was suggested that maybe I should just do a little walking in the room or something similar. Well, I don't know if it was just the suggestion of having another routine, but since that time, I haven't had any problem going right back to sleep after waking again. I am ensuring that I do my routine every night, and my sleep has never been better!”
If you struggle with sleep, Dr. John has these four recommendations for you:
- Avoid technology at bedtime – no phones or laptops in your bedroom.
- Create a sleep ritual – such as reading a book or magazine a half hour before bed.
- Limit tossing and turning – if you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t fall back asleep right away, get up and out of bed. Go somewhere else and try reading a few pages of a book or drink a glass of water and then try to go back to sleep.
- Get a sleep test – if you’ve tried everything and still aren’t getting sleep, many of the 9Health Fairs offer sleep apnea tests at no charge. Find a Spring 9Health Fair near you before the season is over!
Remember, sleep is extremely important! Not getting enough can affect so many other aspects of your life. Make good sleep a priority.
Our spring fairs are just about to wrap up. This is a great time to find out what your numbers are and to learn about your overall health. Check our Find a Fair page for a list of dates and locations.
Volunteer! It's a great way to give back to the community and to help others own their health. By being a volunteer, studies consistently show you will be healthier and happier.
Local Volunteer Organizations:
9NEWS On-Air Spot:
Connect with 9Health Fair
Follow us @9HealthFair or visit www.9healthfair.org often for new topics of the month, blog updates, available screenings, and ways to join our incredible volunteer team!
We want to hear from you!
Access the 9Health Topic of the Month Archive